ZocdocAnswersIs this just a pimple or something else?

Question

Is this just a pimple or something else?

I got what I thought was just a large pimple on the end of my chin, but now it has gotten larger and has turned more skin colored. The skin is kind of flaky around it too. It doesn't seem to be going away. Is this just a bad pimple or something else?

Answer

I definitely recommend that you go to see your primary care doctor or your dermatologist about this issue. Any skin findings that persist, grow larger, or otherwise do not resolve need to be checked out by a doctor. Of course, as you suggest, one possibility is that this is simple a bad pimple. However, the fact that it is getting larger and is not red like pimples usually are is concerning. I think it would be important to make sure this is not an abscess, which might need to be opened and drained by your doctor. Also, cysts are very common under the skin; although the tend to be benign, when they occur on the face they are a serious cosmetic problem and they usually need to be surgically removed. Finally, it is always important to rule out the possibility of skin cancer. Skin cancers are very common, especially if you are fair-skinned or if you spend a lot of time out in the sun or tanning. Fortunately, most skin cancers are slow growing and they can be completely cured if they are caught in time. If your doctor suspects a skin cancer, they will recommend a biopsy of the spot.