ZocdocAnswersAre my headaches the sign of a brain tumor?

Question

Are my headaches the sign of a brain tumor?

I have had a headache everyday for a week. Does that mean that something is wrong with my brain? Could I have a brain tumor?

Answer

I would highly suggest that you make an appointment to see your primary care doctor about this issue. Any ongoing headache that worsens or is persistent needs to be checked out by a doctor, to make sure that it is not a serious medical problem. There are many potential causes of headache that your doctor can consider. First of all, one very common cause of persistent headache is migraine, which tends to cause pulsatile pain in the head, often on just one side of the head, that often is accompanied by visual changes like blurriness or sensitivity to light and nausea or vomiting. Another very common cause of headache is sinus congestion or infection, where the headache often is concentrated in the forehead or cheekbones, often together with cough, congestion, or a 'swishing' sensation in the head when leaning forward. Rarely, of course, headache can be a sign of a brain tumor or another serious medical problem. For this reason, when you go to see your primary care doctor, they will perform a complete examination, both to look for common causes of headache (such as migraine or sinus congestion) and also to rule out the more serious causes. Based on what they find, they will recommend treatments or additional studies. Again, please talk to your doctor soon.