ZocdocAnswersIs this a sprained ankle?

Question

Is this a sprained ankle?

Landed real weird on my left leg when playing tennis. I have a pain that is in the middle of my lower leg. Is this from an ankle problem? Can an ankle sprain cause pain that high in your leg?

Answer

It is pretty unlikely that the pain in the middle of your leg is due to an ankle sprain. An ankle sprain by definition is damage to the ligaments in the ankle joint, and this means swelling and pain directly over and around the ankle and difficulty walking. With the kind of injury you describe, I would be concerned to make sure that this is not a small fracture, such as a hairline fracture, of the leg bone. For this reason, I would strongly recommend that you get in to see your primary care doctor or go see an emergency room doctor. They will be able to examine the leg and, if they are concerned about a potential bone fracture, they will be able to get an x-ray to rule this out. If the x-ray turns out ok, then it is mostly likely that this is just a bruise or sprained muscle, and your doctor will be able to give you advice about how to take care of that, such as elevating the leg to reduce swelling, applying ice, and taking anti inflammatory medications such as ibuprofen or naproxen. Good luck, and I hope you are feeling better soon!