ZocdocAnswersWhy did I get another urinary tract infection?

Question

Why did I get another urinary tract infection?

Two months ago I had a urinary tract infection that turned into a kidney infection too. It cleared up but now I think it is coming back because I have the same symptoms. Why did the UTI come back?

Answer

I am really sorry to hear that you are having symptoms of a urinary tract infection again. You should definitely talk to your primary care doctor about this issue as soon as possible, especially given that you had progression to a kidney infection last time. Your doctor will be able to perform a urine test to see if these symptoms you have now are due to an infection. Make sure to let them know exactly what symptoms you are experiencing; especially be sure to mention any back or flank pain and any fevers. Urine infections are one of the most common types of infection. Especially if you are a female (unclear from your question) it can be common to have several urine infections without that necessarily meaning that you have any other serious underlying medical problem. Most of these simple urinary tract infections will clear up after a short course of oral antibiotics, as prescribed by your doctor. Your doctor will also be able to determine if there are any other complicated factors that are predisposing you to a urine infection. For example, in older men, problems with the prostate can lead to recurrent urine infections, and addressing the prostate problem can be an important part of treating the issue. Start by talking to your doctor!