ZocdocAnswersWhat are these pink spots on my chest?

Question

What are these pink spots on my chest?

There are two small pink bumps in the middle of my chest that have been there for months. What are they? They are starting to feel harder than usual too.

Answer

I suggest that you go to see your primary care doctor about this issue. Any persistent skin findings that do not go away need to be evaluated by your doctor to make sure they are not a serious medical issue. There are multiple potential causes of the spots. If they are itching or flaking in addition to reddened, they may represent spots of eczema. Eczema is an inflammatory condition of the skin, characterized by extreme dryness of the involved areas, and it can usually be well treated with good skin moisturizing creams and topical steroid creams after diagnosis. The red spots may also represent areas of contact dermatitis, which is skin inflammation caused by coming in contact with something you are allergic or sensitive to. It is treated in much the same way as eczema after diagnosis. With persistent spots on the skin it is always necessary to rule out the possibility of skin cancer, especially if the spots or growing or if you have risk factors, such as pale skin or frequent exposure to sunlight or tanning booths. Your doctor will be able to take a look at the spots and see if they are suspicious for cancer; if so, they will likely recommend a biopsy.