ZocdocAnswersHow can I treat a boil at home?

Question

How can I treat a boil at home?

I think I have a boil on the inside part of my leg. It is the inner thigh area. How do I make it go away/treat it at home? I really don't want to have to go to the doctor for it.

Answer

Boils are infections of the skin in which bacteria get under the surface of the skin and cause a red, hardened, painful lump. Usually pus then collects in this lump and will eventually drain to the surface, after which the boil will heal up. Simple home remedies for small boils include placing warm compresses over the boil to relieve the pain and help it drain. Washing the area with an antibacterial soap or applying an antibacterial ointment is also a good idea. It is also important to avoid trying to squeeze or puncture the boil, as this usually just makes things worse. It is very important not to wait too long treating a boil at home prior to seeking help from your primary care doctor. There is always the danger that a small boil will turn into a larger skin infection. In particular, if there is any streaking, pain, or redness spreading around the boil, or if the boil does not drain, then you definitely need to seek help from your doctor, who may need to open and drain the boil or prescribe oral antibiotics to help things clear up and to prevent the infection from spreading. Good luck, and I hope you feel better soon.