ZocdocAnswersDo I have herpes?

Question

Do I have herpes?

Totally scared. Red spots on my penis. Is it herpes? What are the other symptoms?

Answer

Red spots on the shaft or tip of the penis could definitely be herpes, which as you probably know is a sexually transmitted infection caused by the herpes virus. Typically, the sores associated with herpes begin as clear fluid-filled blisters sitting on top of a red base. The blisters tend to be painful or have a 'burning' sensation associated with them and, when they rupture the leave small red sores which slowly heal and disappear. If you think you might have herpes, you should get in to see your primary care doctor right away. They can examine the spots and confirm the diagnosis of herpes. If this is herpes, there are prescription medications you can take to help clear up the infection more quickly. Also, your doctor can test you for other sexually transmitted diseases, such as Chlamydia, Gonorrhea, and HIV, as having one sexually transmitted disease does put you at higher risk of having another as well. Finally, until you get in to see your doctor and receive treatment you should avoid having unprotected sexual intercourse, because if this is herpes, then it is highly contagious and you could easily pass it on to your partners. I hope you are feeling better soon.