ZocdocAnswersDo I have mono?

Question

Do I have mono?

I've been super tired for about two weeks and my muscles are achy. My stomach feels fine and so does my head so I don't think I have the flu or a cold. But could it be mono? Are these mono symptoms?

Answer

Fatigue and muscle aching can be symptoms of multiple conditions ranging from benign to more serious so it is very important for you to make an appointment with your primary care doctor. He or she will discuss your symptoms, do a complete physical exam, possibly order blood work, and give you an appropriate diagnosis and treatment. Mono, or mononucleosis, is caused by a virus and is characterized by fever, fatigue, sore throat, muscle aches and swollen glands (especially in the neck). So, without a fever and sore throat, mono is unlikely but still a possibility. Mono is spread by saliva and close contact and is also known as the "kissing disease." If your doctor suspects mono after discussing your symptoms and examining you he or she will order a blood test called a monospot test to confirm the diagnosis. It is possible that you have a different viral infection as their are a myriad of different viruses that can affect your body and cause your symptoms. Some other causes of your symptoms could be anemia (low blood count), side effects of a new medication, depression, or a sleep disorder. Two weeks is a long time to be dealing with your symptoms so please make an appointment with your primary care doctor as soon as possible.