ZocdocAnswersWhat is causing my chest pain?

Question

What is causing my chest pain?

I'm 18 years old and have a weird pressure type feeling in my chest. Almost like it is being squeezed. I've also been having trouble with my stomach because it is making gurgling noises. Is the chest pain connected to my stomach pain? What else might be causing my chest pain?

Answer

It is likely that some reflux of food could be responsible for your symptoms. The food that you eat passes from your mouth into your stomach via a long tube in your chest known as the esophagus.Normally there is a valve at the end of the esophagus that prevents food from coming up the wrong path way back up into the esophagus. For a variety of reasons, people can have some reflux of food from the stomach into the esophagus that can cause abdominal or chest discomfort, feeling of fullness or bloating, an acid taste in the mouth. Foods like caffeine may provoke this. More importantly, however, it is essential that you make an appointment with a doctor as soon as possible to rule out other heart conditions that maybe causing your symptoms. You should see a doctor to thoroughly discuss your symptoms, and to undergo a good physical exam to come to a definitive diagnosis. Often times vague symptoms such as yours warrant further testing including an EKG or a ultrasound of the heart to ensure that the valves of your heart and your heart itself is functioning normally. Your doctor will also be able to prescribe the proper medication based on your symptoms and diagnosis. Good luck!