ZocdocAnswersHow can I prevent sweaty feet?

Question

How can I prevent sweaty feet?

Can't seem to make my feet stop sweating so much. No matter what shoes or sox I wear. What can I do to make my feet stop sweating so much?

Answer

I am sorry to hear that sweaty feet is such a problem for you! There is actually a technical medical name for excessive sweating, hyperhidrosis. The activity of the sweat glands in the skin is largely determined by genetic individual factors, and sweating is also typically made worse by things like stressful situations or anxiety. When the degree of sweating that someone experience is so excessive that it causes embarrassment or social anxiety or other problems, then this is called hyperhidrosis. Fortunately, there are several effective treatments for hyperhidrosis. First of all, if the hyperhidrosis just limited to the feet, it is sometimes effective simply to change to cool, sweat-wicking socks and shoes, along with good skin hygiene. If this doesn't work, however, there are additional medications that can be used. For example, there are topical drying agents, mostly containing aluminum chloride (the same ingredient that is used in 'antiperspirant' deodorants), as well as oral medications for more severe cases. In the most serious cases that do not respond to these medications, injections of botulinum toxin (Botox) are often used. I would start by talking to your primary care doctor or your dermatologist about this issue, and they will recommend an appropriate treatment.