ZocdocAnswersAm I underweight?

Question

Am I underweight?

I never thought about being too skinny or having a weight issue, but I have been very dizzy lately and almost fainted two days ago. Is this from being underweight? How do you find out what your correct body weight is?

Answer

Fortunately, this is something that is very simple to calculate, at least within a broad range. Using a computer, a person may search the phrase, "BMI calculator," which is short for Body Mass Index. This is a fairly simple formula that was created by a mathematician and used heavily (pun intended) by insurance people to determine which weight would allow people to be the lowest risk (and who they could thus charge the lowest rates). Somewhere along the way, doctors started using it to make suggestions about the appropriate weight for their patients, again, based on the idea that, over time, people weighing a certain amount will be more or less likely to have health problems or death. While there are many critics of the formula itself and how it is used, if your body weight falls somewhere in the normal range, it is unlikely that it is your weight that is causing your dizziness. It is important to note, however, that the cause of your dizziness is something that you should determine quickly, as being dizzy can be dangerous to you and to others. Please speak with your doctor in the near future to determine what is the cause of your dizziness and to correct it.