Why do I have blood in my eye?

There is some blood in my left eye and it is getting more and more each day. Soon it will be right next to the colored part of my eye. What is causing this? Do I have to have it checked out?
It sounds like you probably have a subconjunctival hemorrhage. This is a condition in which small blood vessels under the white part of the eye rupture. The result is a bright red collection of blood in the white part of the eye. Usually subconjunctival hemorrhages are painless, but they may be uncomfortable if they are large. The most common reason for getting a subconjuctival hemorrhage is either an injury to the eye (which can be quite minor at times) or bursting a blood vessel from straining (coughing, laughing, sneezing, blowing your nose). There is no specific treatment for a subconjunctival hemorrhage. However, you should have it checked out by your primary care doctor or by your eye doctor. They will be able to make sure there is no other more serious injury to the eye. Also, since the red spot seems to be getting larger in your case, they will be able to help evaluate why it seems that the bleeding is continuing and if something needs to be done about that. When you go to see your doctor, make sure to describe exactly what happened to cause the bleeding, and also mention all of your medical problems and any medications you might be taking (especially potentially blood thinning medications like ibuprofen, aspirin, or warfarin.

Other Ophthalmologists