Why do I always have mucous in the back of my throat?

I always feel like I have mucous in the back of my throat. I cough but it just doesn't seem to clear out. Why do I always have this extra mucous and how do I get it out of there?
It sounds like this is a long standing problem for you, which means that you should make an appointment to see your primary care doctor. They will be able to examine your throat closely, as well as give you a quick general examination, and help figure out what is causing the mucus in your throat. One of the most common causes of mucus in the throat is nasal allergies, also known as allergic rhinitis. These allergies causes swelling and inflammation in the nasal passages, causing congestion and constant dripping of mucus into the back of the throat. Similarly, chronic sinus congestion may also cause nasal congestion, together with pressure in the forehead or cheeks, and dripping of mucus down the throat. Bad acid reflux, or heartburn, may cause acid to wash up from the stomach into the throat from time to time, which causes irritation of the lining of the throat and may lead to a sensation of 'mucus' or 'lump in the throat.' Finally, enlarged tonsils may cause crowding in the back of the throat and cause an unpleasant sensation that might feel like mucus in the throat. Start by making an appointment to see your primary care doctor today.