ZocdocAnswersWhy is the skin under my eyes dry and red?

Question

Why is the skin under my eyes dry and red?

Skin under both of my eyes is dry and red. Used a few different products that haven't made any difference. What can make the skin under your eyes do this? Should I see a dermatologist?

Answer

There are several different possibilities that could explain why the skin under and around your eyes is dry and red. Since the problem has been persistent for a while now and is not responding to home treatments, I do recommend that you go see a doctor for additional help. You could go to see either your primary care doctor or a dermatologist, depending on your preference. One possibility is that this is just dry skin, especially as we are now getting into the winter months when this problem is more common. With dry skin, it is important to apply a good skin moisturizer, and also to avoid excessively drying out the skin with harsh soaps or astringents. Another possibility is that this is eczema, which is a condition in which the skin becomes reddened, itching, and may even flake or crack. Eczema generally requires, in addition to good moisturizing, a steroid cream in order to clear up; however, steroid creams on the face can be dangerous and should only be used after talking with your doctor and confirming the diagnosis. A final possibility would be a sensitivity reaction of the skin to some personal care product, such as a cream or makeup component, that you are using. Your doctor can also help you sort this out!