ZocdocAnswersIs it okay if I am thirsty a lot?

Question

Is it okay if I am thirsty a lot?

For around 6 months I have been a lot more thirsty than usual. Is this fairly normal or should I talk to a doctor about it? It doesn't really bother me, I've just been drinking more water, which I'm sure is actually good for me.

Answer

While it is hard to say if there could be something wrong with you just due to a symptom like being extra thirsty, anything that is markedly different over a sustained period of time should be discussed with your doctor. In the absence of other symptoms, it is possible that your thirst is simply due to increased salt intake or the warmth of the summer causing you to be more active outside, sweat more, etc. That being said, however, being extra thirsty for a long time can be an early sign of several medical conditions, the most obvious of which is diabetes. Your doctor would quickly be able to estimate your risk by asking about your family history of these medical conditions, your personal past medical history, and by doing a physical exam. In certain cases, he or she may also be able to order a quick test and determine almost immediately if you have any of these diseases. While an isolated symptom like thirst can be very simply explained away, it is important to make sure that you do not let these things add up or go ignored, as the early signs of any disease are always the best chance to treat and sometimes cure them. Please talk to your doctor.