ZocdocAnswersWhat is the best way to get rid of dandruff?

Question

What is the best way to get rid of dandruff?

I have seriously tried everything but can't get my dandruff to go away. Are there any medications that can help me? I'm starting to get very frustrated that I can't get it to go away!

Answer

I am very sorry to hear that this is such a frustrating issue to you. Dandruff is an extremely common problem, and it can be chronic and difficult to clear up. However, help is available to you! Either your primary care doctor or your dermatologist will be happy to take a look at your dandruff and help you come up with a solution! As you know, the first line treatments for dandruff are over the counter shampoos that contain selenium sulfide. This ingredient works primarily by killing off fungus on the surface of the skin, which are a major contributor to the itching and flaking associated with dandruff. Sometimes, however, the over the counter strength of selenium sulfide found in shampoos is not enough to clear up the inflammation. In these cases, your doctor can prescribe a stronger strength of selenium sulfide for you. You may also need specifically a steroid cream or shampoo to reduce redness and itching, and this is also something that your doctor can help you with. In very severe cases that do not respond to these treatments, your doctor may recommend additional medications as well, but start by setting up a visit to discuss the issue today!