ZocdocAnswersWhy do I keep getting cystitis?

Question

Why do I keep getting cystitis?

I continue to get cystitis even though I take every precaution that my doctor has asked me to take. Why do I keep having to deal with this? Is something wrong with my body or immune system?

Answer

Cystitis is a medical term used to describe a urinary tract infection. They are common in women, but in most cases are easily treatable with antibiotics and don't recur very often. It seems that your infections are returning which is unfortunate. Many times we are unable to find a problem with the urinary system or immune system when someone has recurrent cystitis. Other times a correctable problem is found and the infections can be stopped. The hope is that whatever the case is with you that it gets figured out and corrected if possible. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with a urologist. The reason I think that you need to see a specialist in this situation is that you have recurrent cystitis that has not responded to your doctor's recommendations. A urologist will be able to examine your urinary tract system with instruments such as a scope that can look at the inside of the bladder. There may be fixable reasons (i.e. unknown kidney stones) that may be helpful in preventing future infections. It is possible that you will need to take low dose antibiotics for life to prevent these infections from returning. Finally, other urinary tract conditions other than cystitis that can cause cystitis-like symptoms can be looked into.