Would a nasal rinse make me stop sneezing?

I have a real problem with sneezing. Especially in the morning, I sneeze like a hundred times. A friend said a neti pot might help. Would that really help my sneezing problem or would it be a waste of time?
It sounds like you might be dealing with nasal allergies, also known as allergic rhinitis. For many people the symptoms of allergic rhinitis are very pronounced in the mornings, especially if the allergy which is provoking the symptoms is something they are more exposed to at night - such as mites in the mattress or molding the bedroom carpet. I suggest that you start by going to see your primary care doctor for a quick checkup. They will be able to confirm that the sneezing and other symptoms you have are from allergies and not from some other cause. Once you have a diagnosis, they will be able to help you decide which treatments are best for you. The Nettipot and other saline rinsing systems are one home method for treating sinus problems and nasal allergies which can be very effective by reducing inflammation and washing out the provoking allergens. In addition to these, there are good anti histamine medications, such as Claritin (loratidine) or Zyrtec (cetirizine), and prescription strength nasal steroid sprays, such as Fluticasone (flonase) and Nasonex (mometasone). Often a combination of these approaches is actually the most effective, and your primary care doctor will be able to help you make a decision. I recommend scheduling an appointment soon.

• Dr. Angela Hon
    Dr. Angela Hon MD
    88-20 Rockaway Beach Blvd
    Rockaway Beach, NY 11693
  • Dr. Julie Norley
    Dr. Julie Norley DO
    7534 E 2nd Street
    Scottsdale, AZ 85251
  • Dr. Andrew Kirschner
    Dr. Andrew Kirschner DO
    1 Belmont Avenue
    Bala Cynwyd, PA 19004