ZocdocAnswersWhat is making my nose bleed so much?

Question

What is making my nose bleed so much?

I am 18 years old and have started having trouble with nose bleeds. I get about one a week and it doesn't seem like anything triggers them, they just happen out of nowhere. Why is my nose continuing to bleed?

Answer

Sorry to hear that you are having such a bad problem with nose bleeds. Unfortunately, this can be a relatively common problem, especially in your age group. What I mean by that is there are many different hormonal changes that are taking place during adolescence (teen years) that some think affects the blood vessels in our body, particularly in this case within your nose. You see, there are lots of tiny blood vessels within the mucosa (lining) of your nose. They are what allow production of mucous, good immune response, etc. Unfortunately in some people they can also lead to epistaxis (nose bleeds). If you were washing dishes and your hands dried out and the skin cracks, it will bleed a little, but will stop relatively quickly. Mucosa in your nose on the other hand has much more blood flow to it, so when it dries out and cracks, it will bleed much more. This pattern of drying and cracking/bleeding, then drying and cracking, etc is particularly common in the drier climates and in the winter months (as it becomes more dry). That is my best guess as to what is going on inside your nose. I would recommend making an appointment to see an ENT to get checked out initially to make sure that there isn't something else going on, but on average, this is the most common cause of epistaxis. They will likely give you some different techniques/medicines to maintain the moisture within your nose, and may even cauterize a small blood vessel (if present) in the office. Best of luck and I wish you all the best.