ZocdocAnswersAre diet pills safe?

Question

Are diet pills safe?

I'm 19 years old and female and I was thinking about trying out some diet pills. I am overweight and don't know what else to do. Are diet pills from the drug store safe to use or should I talk to my doctor first?

Answer

The appeal of rapid weight loss is hard to resist. But do weight-loss pills and products a safe option for weight loss? Because dietary supplements and weight-loss aids aren't subject to the same rigorous standards as are prescription drugs, they can be sold with limited proof of effectiveness, and some may be downright dangerous. It is important to check the Food and Drug Administration or FDA Web site for alerts about safety concerns and product recalls. It is especially true if you have any medical problems, such as hupothyroidism and diabetes, etc. so it is absolutely necessary to consult with your doctor before you start a diet regimen. Diet pills are not only unsafe but also an unreliable way to lose weight. They may cause you to lose a lot of water weight leading to rapid weight loss, but you will gain back all the weight quickly as well. For this reason, proper diet and exercise are probably the most effective to burn those extra calories and maintain long-term physical fitness. If you are considering trying weight-loss pills, please be sure to consult with your primary care physician, especially if you have health problems or take prescription drugs. Your doctor can advise you how to lose weight safely by talking to you about possible side effects and what to watch out for and monitor your progress.