ZocdocAnswersWhat is this weird discoloration on my lip?

Question

What is this weird discoloration on my lip?

On one side of my lower lip I have a strange little white patch on the top going into the inside of my mouth. What is this? Why is my lip changing color?

Answer

I would highly recommend that you go see either your primary care doctor or a dermatologist about this issue as soon as possible. Any areas of the skin that are changing in color need to be checked out as soon as possible to make sure they do not represent a serious medical problem. In particular, at the top of the list would be ruling out that this is a skin cancer. Your risk for skin cancer of course depends on your age, skin color, and how much time you have spent in the sun over your life. However, around the mouth and lips is one of the more common parts of the body where skin cancer from sun damage occurs. Cancers in this part of the body can also be associated with tobacco use. Your doctor can take a look at the spot and, if there is a concern for cancer, set you up for a biopsy to rule this out. At the same time, they will be able to rule out other, less serious medical problems such as inflammation of the skin of the lip from eczema or dermatitis, as well as infections such as thrush. Again, please get in to see your doctor as soon as you can.