ZocdocAnswersDid getting my arm hair waxed give me pimples?

Question

Did getting my arm hair waxed give me pimples?

I had the hair on my arms waxed and now I have a bunch of little pimples where the hair was removed. This was weeks ago but they won't go away. Is it from the waxing? Should I stop doing waxing?

Answer

What you are describing is not pimples, but ingrown hairs. An ingrown hair occurs when the sharp tip of the hair curls back and grows sideways into the skin. Anything which causes the hair to be broken off short and create a sharp tip that can more easily pierce the skin leads to an ingrown hair. The embedded hair causes a localized inflammation response in the skin that is sometimes painful. It may or may not be accompanied by an infection of the hair follicle. Shaving is the leading case, followed by waxing and tight clothing. Sometimes ingrown hair occurs naturally without shaving or waxing. For instance, women with curly hair are very much prone for ingrown hairs. Although an ingrown hair can heal on its own over time, in some cases, it may be tough to get rid of it. Fortunately, there are many different products that can treat the occurrences of ingrown hairs. Laser hair removal may be an option for preventing ingrown hairs because it removes hair with a laser beam that destroys the hair follicle. The effect is long-lasting but not permanent. Another option is electrolysis, which targets individual hair follicles and such destruction of hair follicles is permanent. I advise a consultation with a dermatologist for more information and optimal treatment.