ZocdocAnswersShould I be worried if there was blood in my urine?

Question

Should I be worried if there was blood in my urine?

I'm a healthy 24 year old male but yesterday when I went to the bathroom there was blood in my urine. Should I be worried? It hasn't happened since but I'm wondering what could cause this...

Answer

There are several causes of blood in the urine (hematuria), some of which are benign and others which are more serious and require further work-up. Gross hematuria (urine that is visibly bloody) can be a very distressing symptom. It can be associated with kidney stones (usually accompanied by sharp pain), urinary tract infections, trauma to the kidneys/ureters/urethra, inflammation of the kidney cells (ie glomerulonephritis), and cancer of the kidneys or urogenital tract. In many cases, the hematuria is microscopic, meaning that while the urine may look clear there are still red blood cells seen in the urine when examined under the microscope. For this reason, it is advisable that you still seek out the advice of your primary care doctor. With a thorough medical history, exam and urinalysis, your doctor should be able to come up with an answer. If the urinalysis does reveal persistent hematuria, then the next step might be blood work to look at your kidney function and imaging of the kidneys and ureters (such as with CT scan or ultrasound) to rule out any kidney stones or masses that may be responsible for the bleeding.