ZocdocAnswersIs too much computer use bad for a person's eyes?

Question

Is too much computer use bad for a person's eyes?

I use a computer for around 10 hours a day. Is this bad for my eyes? If I keep doing this in the future will it eventually damage my eyes? What can I do to make sure that it doesn't? I haven't had a checkup in a long time but my vision is fine now.

Answer

For a long time we have wondered whether the increase time that people spend in front of a computer screen would have detrimental effects on brain function and eye sight. So far, we have not found any definitive evidence that this is the case. There are millions of people that work desk jobs in front of a computer all day and so far, we have not seen an increase in the rates of vision problems later in life. With that said, there is no way for us to know what the effects will be down the road. Perhaps staring at a computer screen for 10 hours per day may cause problems when you're 70 years old. Without evidence of this, no one should recommend that you make any changes to your job or life style right now. You should however have your vision checked on a regular basis. Some people like to have their vision checked every year or every several years (depending on if their are any problems) by an optometrist. I suggest that you schedule an appointment today. An optometrist is a doctor who performs vision tests and fits patients with the right prescription lens. This way you can be sure that your vision is not changing over time.