ZocdocAnswersWhy do I feel dizzy all the time?

Question

Why do I feel dizzy all the time?

I am having a lot of trouble with dizziness. It hits me several times throughout the day and it is worse if I have been sitting then stand or start walking. Why am I so dizzy all the time?

Answer

There are many possible causes of dizziness ranging from benign to more serious. It is very important to make an appointment with your primary care doctor to discuss your symptoms and obtain an appropriate diagnosis and treatment. It is also important to define what you mean as dizziness. If you mean that when you stand up you feel woozy like you might pass out or get lightheaded this is a sign of orthostatic hypotension. This is also known as postural hypotension which is when your blood pressure falls when you suddenly stand up and your brain is temporarily deprived of oxygen. There are various causes of orthostatic hypotension such as dehydration, various medications, and anemia (low blood count). If what you feel when you stand up is more of a sensation of the world spinning around you you are suffering from vertigo, or a feeling of motion when you are stationary. There are multiple causes of vertigo as well such as benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV), ear infections, or vestibular migraines. In the meantime, make sure that you are well hydrated and eat a well balanced diet. Be sure to hold on to something steady when going from sitting to standing and wait until the dizziness passes before walking.