ZocdocAnswersIs my smoking making my chest hurt when I cough?

Question

Is my smoking making my chest hurt when I cough?

I only smoke maybe 3 cigarettes a day, but whenever I cough it really hurts my chest and it feels like there is something in my lungs. Is it from the smoking or is something else causing my chest pain?

Answer

Since this cough has been going on for a while, I definitely recommend that you go to see a doctor about the problem. I would start by seeing first your primary care doctor. It is fairly common for a chronic cough to cause some chest pain; this occurs because the muscles of the chest wall between the ribs actually become strained from the force of the cough. What is not normal, however, is having the cough in the first place, and this is what your doctor will want to investigate closely. Cigarettes are extremely bad for the lungs. The smoke and the contaminants in the smoke cause inflammation and irritation of the lining of the lungs, which could be the cause of your cough for sure. Even just 3 cigarettes per day might be enough to cause this, especially if you have another underlying lung condition, like asthma. Smoking may also aggravate other chronic conditions which could contribute to cough, such as sinus congestion or nasal allergies. Your doctor will examine your lungs, throat, and nose closely looking for signs of lung infection, bronchitis, sinus congestion, and nasal allergies among other conditions. If they find some thing, they will be able to recommend a good treatment. Furthermore, they can give you some suggestions about how to successfully quit smoking. Good luck!