ZocdocAnswersWhy do I have pain in the tip of my penis?

Question

Why do I have pain in the tip of my penis?

There is constant pain in the tip of my penis and it is kind of tingling as well. What is causing this? Is it an STD?

Answer

I highly recommend that you set up a visit with your primary care doctor as soon as possible to discuss this issue. There are several possible conditions that could be causing your symptoms, but a sexually transmitted infection is very high on the list. Common sexually transmitted infections include chlamydia and gonorrhea. Both of these conditions can cause burning or discomfort inside the penis, typically this is worse with urination. There may also be discharge of clear or thick material from the tip of the penis. When you go to see your doctor about the issue, make sure to give a complete and honest history of any recent sexual encounters. They will be able to perform some simple laboratory tests to see if you have a sexually transmitted infection and, if so, they will be able to prescribe antibiotics to help you clear up the infection. In the meantime, it is important to avoid sexual intercourse until you are seen and evaluated. This is because sexually transmitted infections are highly contagious and, if you are infected, you could easily pass these on to your sexual partners. Please make an appointment with your primary care doctor as soon as you can!