What is the pain in my jaw caused by?

For around 4 days I have had an aching pain underneath my jaw. It is in the back of my jaw underneath the bone. What is this pain and where is it coming from? Do i need surgery?
Since this pain has been going on for several days now without improving, I would recommend that you go to see your primary care doctor for an initial evaluation. They will be able to help figure out what might be going on. One common cause of pain below the jaw is swollen lymph nodes. These nodes are involved in fighting off infections in the mouth and throat, so any sore throat, cold, or tooth infection might cause these glands to swell, which can be uncomfortable. Another possibility would be an inflammation or infection in one of the salivary glands, which sit both right under the jaw and also at the back side of the jaw near the ear. In addition to pain, other symptoms might be tenderness or swelling in these areas. If the pain is more localized to the joint where the jaw connects to the face, called the temporo mandibular joint, then another possibility would be temporo mandibular joint pain, which is a very common problem, typically associated with grinding the teeth or other forms of jaw strain. Start by seeing your primary care doctor who can narrow down the list of possibilities and help you figure out if you need more evaluation or treatment.