ZocdocAnswersWhat is this small bump on my testicle?

Question

What is this small bump on my testicle?

Found a small bump on the side of my left testicle and I am totally freaking out. I'm only 20 years old. Could it be cancer? What else would cause a small bump on someone's testicle?

Answer

I am sorry to hear about this, and I am sure that it is a cause of great stress to you right now. I would suggest that you get in to see your primary care doctor as soon as possible. They will be able to take a look at the bump that you have found and help determine whether this is something that you need to worry about. Obviously, whenever a bump is found on the testicle the first priority is to make sure that it is not testicular cancer, which is a common form of cancer in men. Testicular cancer usually feels like a hard lump within or on the side of the testicle, given it an asymmetric feeling. One common thing that happens is that someone feels the epididymis, which is a structure of tubes common off the back of the testicle that can sometimes be confused with an actual lump in the testicle. The epididymis tends to be softer and more mobile than a true lump in the testicle would be. Your doctor will be able to determine whether this is just the epididymis you are feeling or whether it is a true lump in the testicle. If it is a true lump, then they will set you up with additional testing to rule out the possibility of cancer.