ZocdocAnswersWhat is happening to my scar?

Question

What is happening to my scar?

I had a mole removed on my back and now the scar is getting raised and is darker in color than it used to be. What is happening to the scar?

Answer

I would recommend that you go to see your dermatologist or your primary care doctor about this issue. Sometimes, scars can be slightly raised and can have a darker color than surrounding skin as part of the normal healing process. When this happens, the scar will tend to fade back into the surrounding skin color over a period of weeks to months. However, if the scar is actually significantly raised up and growing out of the skin, then I would be concerned that you might be developing a keloid. A keloid is when a scar keeps growing even after the cut is healing, resulting in piling up of extra scar tissue above the skin. Keloids can be very cosmetically unappealing, and so you should definitely talk to your doctor to see if this is what you are dealing with. If you do have a developing keloid, there are a few different treatment options, and you can discuss these with your doctor. For most small keloids, injecting steroid medications into the keloid is usually sufficient and produces good results. However, larger keloids or keloids that do not respond to steroid injections sometimes do require surgical removal. Set up a visit with your doctor to discuss this issue at your earliest convenience.