What are the complications involved with colitis?

My doc says maybe my stomach problems is from colitis. What are things that happen when you have it? I don't think I have it but he can't find anything else wrong.
Any time that you see the ending to a word, "-itis," it means inflammation of any cause. Cellulitis, is a skin infection, pharyngitis is a sore throat, etc. Colitis is thus inflammation of your colon, and is not always due to bacteria, or any infection for that matter. Instead, it is often a result of diet, digestion, and your body's own reaction with itself. Some people are pre-disposed to having irregular pains in their stomachs, sometimes sharp, that seem to be better or worse with changes in their diets. The consistency of their stool may also vary. Colitis is a way to lump all of these chronic irritable complaints into one category to describe a problem. It is more a description than a diagnosis, as colitis can be the description of many things running a range from serious to normal. Diarrhea, constipation, pain, burning, and even nausea can all be some of the symptoms of colitis. If you have seen your doctor about your problem already, you have made the first step in treating your disease. Please continue to discuss with him or her, and determine what he or she believes might be the cause, and how you can feel better. Perhaps a referral to a specialist is needed.

Other Gastroenterologists