ZocdocAnswersShould I have a blood test done?

Question

Should I have a blood test done?

I was really stressed out for about two weeks and was barely eating for a while. Yesterday I just forced myself to eat a lot but got chest pain and felt terrible. I still have chest pain. What should I do? Get a blood test?

Answer

Chest pain is something that doctors always take very seriously. The possible causes of your chest pain are difficult to tell, but most likely yours was related to your eating a lot. The reason chest pain makes us worried is that is some cases it can be a sign of heart disease. Most people that have chest pain from heart disease are older than 40 and often have other risk factor such as high blood pressure, high cholesterol, or smoking. If this describes you, then you should see consultation with your doctor right away. Chest pain can also be caused by other disease such as gastro-esophageal reflux. This may be the cause yours considering it was associated with foods. reflux occurs when acid from the stomach moves up (in the wrong direction) into the esophagus causing pain. It is usually made worse by eating spicy foods or drinking alcohol or smoking. I suggest that you schedule an appointment today with your primary care physician. He or she can listen to your description of your pain and perform a thorough physical exam. If your doctor is worried about the possibility of heart disease, you will get a blood test for your cholesterol levels. Good luck.