ZocdocAnswersWill I get chicken pox?

Question

Will I get chicken pox?

I am 18 years old and have never had chicken pox, but I was around my 7 year old cousin who had it very recently. Now I'm having headaches. Am I going to get chicken pox? Can you not get it after a certain age?

Answer

I would suggest that you go to talk to your primary care doctor about this issue. As you probably known, chicken pox was a relatively common viral infection in children (causing spreading, weeping red sores over most of the body that heal up after a week or two). However, in the United States, chicken pox has become uncommon, because children are now regularly vaccinated against the condition. This vaccine was first introduce in 1995, so you would have been very young at the time and likely eligible to receive the vaccine. Although chicken pox is very contagious and anyone who has not had it already can contract it at any age, the vaccine works well. Therefore if you have been vaccinated it is unlikely that you need to worry very much about coming down with chicken pox. Your primary care doctor should have access to your childhood vaccine records somewhere in your medical chart. At your visit, they can go through those records with you and make sure that you did in fact receive the chicken pox vaccine as a child. The can also examine you to make sure you don't have any symptoms of chicken pox. Please make an appointment soon. Good luck!