ZocdocAnswersWhy is my groin skin sensitive?

Question

Why is my groin skin sensitive?

The skin in my groin that is right next to my testicle is very sensitive and if I touch it or rub it burns a lot. What is going on? Is this the sign of an STD? No other symptoms.

Answer

There are several different possibilities here, and I think it would be helpful for you to go see your primary care doctor in order to get to the bottom of things. If there is any rash or redness over the skin, then the most likely possibilities include that you just have some irritation of the skin of the scrotum and groin, from moisture and friction. This tends to get better with good skin hygiene and a moisturizer. If the skin is flaking, very red, or itchy, this could be either eczema or a fungal infection, and your doctor can give you some pointers on how to clear it up with either topical steroid creams or topical anti fungal creams. If you notice any blistered or ulcered areas of the skin, then this could be a sexually transmitted infection, such as herpes, although the ulcers or blisters from herpes almost always occur on the tip or shaft of the penis, not the scrotum, so I think this is less likely. Nevertheless, if you are worried about the possibility of a sexually transmitted infection, mention this to your doctor because they will be able to perform simple testing to rule out potential infections.