Do I have to change my diet if I am taking levothyroxine?

I'm taking levothyroxine. Should I change my diet at all. Are there foods that I should avoid while I take it?
Levothyroxine is a medication that is the same as thyroid hormone. It is taken by people that have thyroid glands that do not make enough thyroid hormone (i.e hypothyroidism). It is a very safe medication as long as your thyroid stimulating hormone (TSH) levels are checked on a regular basis. There are no foods that you need to avoid all together while on levothyroxine, but we do have recommendations as to the other medications that you not take close to the time that you are taking the medication. In general, I tell my patients to take levothyroxine about 30 minutes before breakfast. They should not take antacids or iron pills within 4 hours of taking the thyroid medications. Other than that, there are no restrictions as to how and when you can take this medication. In fact if you miss a day, you can take the pill you missed the next day. As with all questions regarding your medications, you should always contact your physician for any concerns. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician (or whoever prescribed you the levothyroxine). Ask that physician to provide you with a patient handout that provides information on how to take your medication. Good luck.