ZocdocAnswersWhat are the symptoms of high blood pressure?

Question

What are the symptoms of high blood pressure?

I think I have high blood pressure but I am only 26 years old. What are the symptoms of high blood pressure?

Answer

High blood pressure, also known as hypertension, is a condition in which the force of the blood against the wall of your arteries is strong enough that it can eventually lead to health problems such as heart and kidney disease. Hypertension is under-diagnosed because you can go many years with no symptoms. It is only when your blood pressure is very high or there is a sudden change in your blood pressure that people normally experience any symptoms. Symptoms of high blood pressure include headache, nausea or vomiting, chest pain, dizziness, confusion, changes in your vision, or frequent nosebleeds. Again, most people have absolutely no symptoms and they are diagnosed with high blood pressure incidentally at the doctor's office. It is important that you see your primary care provider to have your blood pressure checked as this is the only way to know for sure if you have hypertension. You should have your blood pressure checked every two years starting at age 20, or more often if you have a high reading or you have other risk factors. Your doctor will discuss your risk factors for developing high blood pressure such as family history, being overweight, smoking, alcohol use, and a sedentary lifestyle.