ZocdocAnswersWhy does my stomach hurt after I urinate?

Question

Why does my stomach hurt after I urinate?

Lately after I urinate I get a sharp pain in my lower stomach that lasts around 30 seconds then it goes away. I'm a 21 year old female and this only happens when I urinate. What is it?

Answer

Pain with urination can come from many things. Given that you are a 21 year old female, however, it is especially important to talk to your doctor about your symptoms. Females are especially prone to developing bladder infections due to the shorter nature of the urinary tract. The only symptom that often is noticed is a subtle pain or burning. Additionally, being 21 makes you more likely to have urinary tract infections, as new sexual partners bring exposure to new bacteria and a disruption of the normal vaginal and urethral flora (flora is the word to describe the bacteria that normally live in or on us). While bladder infections are common causes of dysuria (pain or discomfort with or after urination), other causes should also be considered, including some diseases that can infect other body parts, such as the female reproductive tract. Some of these infections can be essentially asymptomatic, but routine testing or screening is often necessary to catch these infections before they cause further problems including things as serious as infertility. Please speak with your doctor soon about your symptoms, as he or she will be able to quickly test your urine and ask questions that may lead them to the appropriate diagnosis.