ZocdocAnswersHow can I make pimple scars go away?

Question

How can I make pimple scars go away?

Got a lot of bad pimples on my neck recently and it looks like they are going to leave some scars. What can I do to make the scars go away or prevent them altogether?

Answer

I am sorry to hear that you recently have been having so much trouble with acne. If the areas of discoloration or scarring you are talking about are new and just healing, then there is not much you can do right now other than keep the skin well moisturized and protected from the. Additionally, avoid picking or squeezing the areas is important to ensure that they heal. As new pimples are healing, the skin over and surrounding them is often darker in color or pinker in color than the surrounding skin. This is something called post inflammatory hyperpigmentation, and it is not technically scarring. Rather, it is normal changes in the skin color that accompany normal healing, and it will gradually fade away over time. If you have true areas of scarring (pockmarks and the like) then you will need to talk to your dermatologist about this issue. There are some treatment options for acne scars, but you should make this appointment to assess the severity of the scarring and see if there is an option that will work for you. Also, you can talk about better control for your acne at the same time, which is extremely important if you want to prevent further scarring down the road.