Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"What is this bump above my forehead?"

ZocdocAnswersWhat is this bump above my forehead?


There is a clear bump above my right eyebrow that is growing in size and hurting. It is even giving me headaches? What is this thing and how the heck do I make it go away?


You definitely need to get in as soon as possible to see your primary care doctor to talk about this issue and figure out what is going on. I am not entirely sure what you mean by a clear bump. If you mean a blister or abscess (fluid filled sac) under the skin, then this could be a sign of a skin infection, especially if there is redness in the surrounding skin. If so, the fact that the area is growing and hurting is concerning, and you would need to be seen right away by your doctor to determine whether the blister needs to be opened and drained and, also, whether you need to take antibiotics to help clear up the infection. On the other hand, if this is not a fluid filled bump but is, instead, a growth under the skin, then the most likely possibility is a cyst. Cysts under the skin are very common and they are not generally a serious medical problem. However, if as you say, the bump is growing and causing pain, then this might be an indication that the cyst would need to be removed surgically. Your primary care doctor can determine if this is necessary and set you up with a surgical appointment to remove the cyst if it is.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.