ZocdocAnswersIs there a medicine that cures warts?

Question

Is there a medicine that cures warts?

I have a couple of warts on my fingers. Is there a medicine that cures them? How else can you make them go away?

Answer

There are several approaches to getting rid of warts. The best approach for you depends on the type of wart, how many you have, and where exactly they are located. The most common approach to getting rid of warts is cryogenic removal. This is where the warts are frozen killing the underlying tissue. Freezing warts is something that is best done in a doctors office. However, there are over-the-counter wart freezing kits that can be purchased. There are topical medications (creams) that can be used as well. These are best suited for situations where there are many warts in a small area or when they are in a very sensitive area that is not optimal for freezing. Finally, warts can be surgically removed. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with a dermatologist. He or she can examine your warts and determine what is the best approach in your specific situation. Most likely, if you have only a few warts, your doctor will want to attempt to freeze them (with the liquid nitrogen). That is something that a dermatologist can do right in the office. The warts will fall off in a few days. If they come back, you can either have them frozen off again or try one of the topical medications. If none of these work, then your doctor can attempt to surgical remove them.