ZocdocAnswersWhere did these bruises come from?

Question

Where did these bruises come from?

I have a lot of small bruises on my torso and arms that sort of look like a hickey! I didn't hurt myself or bump into anything so why I am I having bruising? Something wrong with my blood?

Answer

Sometimes it is possible to accidentally bump into something or otherwise damage your skin and collect a few bruises without really remembering how! On the other hand, it sounds like you have multiple bruises all over your body, which makes this less likely. Therefore, I would go see your primary care doctor as soon as possible; they will be able to help you figure out what could be causing you to bruise so easily. The first thing your doctor will probably do is ask you about any medications you might be taking. This is because there are several types of medications which can thin the blood and lead to easy bruising; some of the most common medications that do this include warfarin and aspirin. Furthermore, they will probably ask about any family history of bleeding disorders as well as ask you if you remember any other symptoms of easy bleeding or bruising (for example, heavy menstrual periods, nose bleeds), as these will help them narrow down the possibilities. Finally, they will probably want to get some basic bloodwork to look at your blood counts and your blood clotting times. Based on all of this information, they may be able to diagnose what is going on!