How can I get rid of the dry skin on my fingers?

I have dry skin, but it is only on my fingers, especially around the nails. How do I get rid of it? Do I have to take a medication?
If you have never talked to a doctor about this problem before, the doctors who would be best qualified to help you would include your primary care doctor or a dermatologist. They will be able to take a look at your dry skin issue and help you decide exactly what is going on and what treatments might be effective. Dry skin around the fingernails can sometimes be simply an irritation of the skin from soaps and other cleaning products, from chemicals like fingernail polish remover, or from frequent manicuring. If any of these situations apply to you, you may find that trying to eliminate these practices, together with frequent use of a good hand moisturizer, might be all you need to do. However, many cases of dry skin like this around the fingernails end up being cases of eczema, a chronic condition in which the skin becomes excessively dry, itchy, and reddened. Eczema, in addition to protecting the hands from chemicals and using moisturizer, often requires a prescription steroid cream in order to clear up completely. Set up a visit with your doctor at your earliest convenience. They will be able to diagnose the problem and help you determine whether you need a medication!