How do I find out if I have celiac disease?

I think I have celiac disease because my friend has it and I have the same symptoms he had. How do I find out if I have it? Blood test? Allergy test?
Celiac disease is a condition in which the body reacts to gluten, which is protein found in wheat and a few other grain products. This leads to an immune reaction in the intestines, which can cause a whole series of symptoms, including abdominal pain, cramping, weight loss, and certain food intolerances. Of course, these symptoms are pretty nonspecific, and there are a number of other conditions which can cause the same symptoms. Nevertheless, celiac disease is pretty common, which is why many doctors will look for it when they have a patient who is dealing with chronic issues of stomach discomfort. Diagnosing celiac disease is straightforward. First, you should set up a visit with your primary care doctor. After listening to your symptoms, they will be able to order some basic blood tests which can rule in or rule out the diagnosis of celiac disease. If you end up being diagnosed with the disease, you will need to work closely with your primary care doctor (or a gastroenterologist) to come up with a diet free of gluten, which is the only way to treat the condition. If the celiac tests are negative, your doctor will work with you to figure out what the cause of your symptoms might be.

Other Gastroenterologists