Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"What should I do if my jock itch won't go away?"

ZocdocAnswersWhat should I do if my jock itch won't go away?


I've had jock itch for a couple of months and it just won't go away. It is getting to the point that I can't stand it. I tried some over the counter stuff but I don't know what to do! What would a doctor do for me?


I am really sorry to hear that this is such a persistent problem for you. Fortunately, there is medical help available to you - jock itch is a very common medical problem, and your primary care doctor will be more than qualified to help you deal with it! As you probably know, jock itch is a fungal infection of the groin. It is very common, since fungal infections tend to occur in parts of the body that are warm and moist. The symptoms can include redness, flaking, odor, and extreme itching. Although some case of jock itch are simple and respond just to good skin hygiene and an over the counter topical anti fungal cream, some cases are more stubborn and resistant. This seems to be what is going on in your case, and it is time to get help from your doctor! What a doctor can do that you cannot on your own is that they have access to much stronger prescription creams and oral medications to treat the fungus. After they examine your skin and confirm the diagnosis of jock itch, your doctor will be able to write you a prescription for something that should clear things up quickly!

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.