If I'm having trouble focusing does that mean that I have attention deficit disorder?

I'm 22 years old and I go to school and lately just can't seem to concentrate. There doesn't seem to be an explanation. Did I all of the sudden get attention deficit disorder? Can you get ADD like that? How do you get tested for it?
I am very sorry to hear that you are suddenly having trouble concentrating in school. I would definitely suggest that you talk to someone about this problem as soon as possible, before it starts to affect your school performance. Medical professionals that would be well trained to help you would include your primary care doctor, a psychologist, or a psychiatrist. It is certainly possible that you are suffering from attention deficit disorder (ADD). This condition is being diagnosed more and more in adults, although in retrospect most of them had symptoms already as children or teenagers and were simply not diagnosed in time. Symptoms of ADD can include trouble concentrating, trouble finishing tasks, racing thoughts, and labile moods or trouble with impulse control. However, these symptoms can also be associated with several other potential disorders including anxiety, depression, and bipolar disorder. Additionally, many times trouble concentrating and focusing is simply related to being really stressed out and not getting enough time to relax and get good sleep. Regardless, I would start by calling and making an appointment with your doctor as soon as possible. They will be able to review your symptoms and help you figure out what is going on!

Nearby Psychiatrists

Other Psychiatrists