ZocdocAnswersCan a doctor help with my seasonal allergies?

Question

Can a doctor help with my seasonal allergies?

I have seasonal allergies in the fall and they are always really terrible. I take allergy meds from the drug store but they really don't help that much. Would a doctor be able to help me better or prescribe me something else?

Answer

Seasonal allergies, are one of the most common medical problems and, at the same time, one of the most frustrating to deal with. You are right that the first line treatments for mild seasonal allergies is the use of standard over the counter anti histamine medications. These medications are very good, and many times they will do the trick. However, if you are still experiencing symptoms, it is time to go see your primary care doctor! Seasonal allergies are one of the conditions that primary care doctors see very frequently, so your doctor should be able to help you! The first thing your doctor will do is confirm the diagnosis of seasonal allergies and also try to get a sense of which symptoms are most bothersome to you. Based on which symptoms are bothering you, they will be able to tailor your medication therapy. For example, if you primarily have nasal symptoms like runny nose, sneezing, and congestion, you might benefit from a nasal steroid spray, such as mometasone (Nasonex) or fluticasone (Flonase), in addition to your over the counter remedies. On the other hand, if the symptoms are primarily symptoms of eye allergies, like redness and itching, you may benefit instead from one of the numerous prescription anti allergy eye drops on the market.