ZocdocAnswersWhy is my face tingling?

Question

Why is my face tingling?

I have tingling in my face. Only on the left side. It is in the cheek and along my jaw. Why? What does it mean if your face is tingling?

Answer

Tingling in the face could be caused by many different things, and I think you should get in to see your primary care doctor as soon as possible, for help figuring out what is going on. Rarely, tingling in the face might be an early sign of an impending stroke. Therefore, especially if you have other symptoms, like severe headache, trouble speaking or trouble with coordination, or weakness in your arms or legs, you should call an ambulance or seek immediate attention in an emergency room. However, assuming you do not have these severe symptoms, you should be fine to start by seeing your primary care doctor. Some possibilities your doctor will consider include Bell's palsy, which is a condition in which the facial nerve becomes inflamed due to a viral infection, leading to numbness and tingling, and sometimes weakness, on one side of the face. Another possibility is shingles, which is a reactivation of the chicken pox virus which can lead to blisters or rash on one side of the face but that usually begins with pain or tingling before the rash appears. Call your doctor's office and make an appointment as soon as possible!