ZocdocAnswersDo I have OCD?

Question

Do I have OCD?

I can't stop checking certain things on my body. Like if my teeth are straight or if one side of my body looks the same as the other side. Is this OCD? What should I do to stop being so weird?

Answer

OCD, or obsessive compulsive disorder, is a condition in which intrusive thoughts or compulsions are experienced. Usually, there are also repetitive or odd behaviors, such as frequent hand washing, or checking multiple times to make sure the door is locked. OCD typically will cause pretty significant social dysfunction, creating problems at school, in your job, and in your relationships. If you think you might have OCD, you will need to see your primary care doctor or a psychiatrist for further evaluation and formal diagnosis. Fortunately, if you are diagnosed with OCD, there are multiple therapies which have shown to be effective, including counseling sessions to help develop strategies to overcome the compulsions and behaviors, as well as several classes of medications. There are also a few other conditions that your doctor will be able to consider. For example, if you are concerned about your appearance, this might be a social anxiety problem or a simple phobia, for example a fear that people are going to laugh at you. Furthermore, something called body dysmorphic disorder is a condition in which people feel like there is something wrong with the appearance of their body. Start by setting up a visit with your doctor to discuss your symptoms today!