How do you get a fever to go away?

I've had a fever for two days and it is starting to make me worry. How do you make a fever go away? I've been taking aspirin but it is not helping.
Fever is a very basic sign that your body is trying to fight something off. Fever alone, especially if it is mild, is not necessarily worrisome because it means your body is doing its job! Therefore, most of the time, fever is simply treated with a fever-lowering medicine like aspirin or tylenol, and the infection is allowed to run its course. However, since you have now had fever for two days continually, which is not responding to a fever-lowering medicine, you should probably go see your primary care doctor for an evaluation. High fevers that are resistant to fever lowering medications and that persist for several days are sometimes a sign of a more serious infection requiring medical treatment. Make sure to tell your doctor what other symptoms you are experiencing, such as cough, sore throat, ear pain, rash, urinary symptoms, or abdominal pain, as these symptoms will help your doctor as they try to narrow down the potential causes of your fever. In addition to a physical examination, your doctor may decide to do other testing, such as basic blood work, if there is any concern for a serious infection. Also, based on what they find, they will be able to determine whether you need treatment, such as with antibiotics.