ZocdocAnswersIs my stress causing my body to twitch?

Question

Is my stress causing my body to twitch?

I have been getting twitching in all different parts of my body. I have also had a lot of stress in my life during that time. Can stress be causing my muscles to twitch? I just feel like my body won't calm down.

Answer

I highly suggest that you go to see your primary care doctor about this issue. Any twitch or other neurological symptom that goes on for a while needs to be evaluated by your doctor, just to make sure that it is not caused by a serious medical problem. Your instinct is right that many times twitching of the muscles can be associated with stress. It is not the stress itself that causes the twitching; however, muscle fatigue can lead to twitching, and if you are working long, hard days and not getting much rest this might be what is going on. However, there are several potentially serious conditions that would need to be ruled out. Your doctor will probably want to check some basic blood work to make sure this is not the result of a common electrolyte imbalance or a problem with the thyroid gland. They will also make sure to evaluate you for any more serious sign of a neuromuscular problem. To help them out in this regard, make sure to mention if you have any other symptoms, such as muscle pain, muscle weakness, dizziness, headache, or trouble with coordination. Based on what your doctor finds, they will be able to determine whether this is just 'stress' or whether additional work up is needed.